Sunday 11 December 2016

Creative Writing by Daniela Coelho: Whitman / The Stars

My username: Whitman
My password: the_stars

Studying the river
And its flow
I thought about how I’d like to reverse life
And make the night slow.

I then stared at the stars, oh they are art!
They seemed so sparkly,
They could calm my heart…
Perhaps even stop wars!

Under this dark sky
With the woods surrounding me,
I drifted to sleep easily.
With a sigh I flew high.

High above the sky,
I found myself among those stars,
They looked so similar to me.
Oh Emerson! Oh Whitman!
How could I have been afraid to die?

I then woke up everywhere*
With the image of the moon in my head.
Its shape resembled
The realization I had had.


* I decided to change “somewhere else” to “everywhere”, due to the idea of decomposition and growth I get from Whitman’s poetry. The speaker dies, his body is decomposed and then grows everywhere or is diffused, like grass that covers graves.

No comments: