Monday 15 April 2013

Henry D. Thoreau writes to E. A. Poe about "The Raven" (by André Gomes)


My fellow man of transcendental burden,
 I tear away at the cockles of my heart concerning myself over your troubled existence, for I do not share your desire to be suffered and rattled out of your sanity. I wallow briefly over your pain for I live only to feel one with nature, the woods and its denizens. There is no greater or more sublime state of mind than the one that comes from immersing yourself in the wild.
            I share with you, however, my humane compassion; and as unfortunate as it can be that I don’t have the power of resurrection, so that I might assist in the revival of your beloved Lenore whose angels have baptized; I assure you – and let this be of some consolation to you – the blissful companionship of the Walden bridkin will permeate and induce with serene tranquility the soul of the most bled out individual. I invite you, thus, to attempt a life amidst the shores and bark of New England. Let the splendid and translucent purity of the Concord waters wash away your grief. There are no ravens here that seek torment and agony in the presence of man.

Yours faithfully,

Henry David Thoreau – naturalist and inhabitant of the world.

No comments: